Changes to Private Railcar Storage Rules Effective October 1, 2007
BNSF continues to focus on improving fluidity in our network. A key component of fluidity is effective private railcar management and timely customer acceptance of cars held in rail yards.
For grain, grain products and sugar in covered hoppers, the items shown in the BNSF Demurrage Book 6004A will be incorporated into the BNSF Private Car Storage Book 6005 and will be treated like all other private cars. The change will remove the complex debit and credit billing method. Each railcar will be handled individually and calculations will follow as stated above.
To help BNSF improve service through our yards and relieve congestion, BNSF will be issuing an update to the private railcar storage book. These changes will affect all private railcars held on railroad owned tracks.
The following rules changes apply to loaded and empty private railcars beginning October 1, 2007:
· For railcars constructively placed Monday through Friday between the hours of 12:01 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., storage charges will start the first day (12:01 a.m.) after notification.
· For railcars constructively placed Monday through Friday after 5:00 p.m., or anytime Saturday or Sunday, storage charges will start the second day (12:01 a.m.) after notification.
· Storage charges will continue until the railcar is ordered to spot.
· The line haul credit program known as the “LDC” program will be discontinued at close of business September 30, 2007.
· Empty private railcar storage rates will change from the present three tier region structure to two tiers.
· Rates for empty private railcar storage will be $20 per day in less constrained locations and $75 for all other locations.
For more information on the above mentioned changes, please refer to the BNSF Private Car Storage Book 6005. The book will be updated by September 5, 2007, to reflect the changes.
· For information on the LDC program, please refer to item 1700C.
· For congested areas and rates on empty private railcars, please refer to item 1800.
If you have any questions, or would like your DSES analyst to help review the impact that may occur as result of these changes, please call 888-428-2673, Option 3, 3, 3.
Your business is important to us. Thank you again for choosing BNSF as your transportation service provider.