New BNSF Hazardous Waste Manifest/Waybill Process Effective Immediately
In our continuous effort to provide more efficient service to customers, and consistent with current Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) regulations, BNSF is implementing a new, streamlined Waste Manifest/Waybill process for all Hazardous Waste shippers.
Effective immediately, shippers utilizing BNSF as the first transporter for EPA / U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) regulated waste shipments should expect expedited billing and faster car loading by following these steps outlined below:
Once submitted, BNSF Waybill Solutions reviews the waste manifest and completed BOL. If complete, BNSF Waybill Solutions will issue a One-Time Authorization via email to sign the manifest on behalf of BNSF as the first transporter. After receiving this Authorization:
- Upon completion of loading, securing and inspecting the waste vessel, an EPA waste manifest is prepared using all codes and fields required by the Shipper/Generator of the waste.
- Shipper then notifies BNSF Waybill Solutions via email (email@example.com) of the request to release and transport the specific shipment with a One-Time Authorization
MN 08-21_Waybill Process Form.pdf to sign the manifest on behalf of BNSF, along with an attached electronic copy (PDF) of the shipper-signed waste manifest and a completed Bill of Lading (BOL).
- Note: BOL must include Car ID, DOT basic hazmat description and complete emergency response contact info. If CHEMTREC, a contact name or the contract number with CHEMTREC must be provided.
Shipper/Generator is responsible for forwarding the waste manifest to destination consignee. BNSF Waybill Solutions will manage the process of creating waybills for manifested waste shipments to ensure accuracy in DOT billing requirements and correct selection of STCC/HMRC.
- Shipper forwards an electronic copy (PDF) via email to BNSF Waybill Solutions of the signed waste manifest (signed for both the shipper and BNSF as transporter).
- If signatures are legible, BNSF Waybill Solutions accepts waste manifest PDF and creates a waybill for the shipment.
- BNSF will offer via EDI 417, a copy of the waybill for the waste shipment to any subsequent rail carrier.
- BNSF Waybill Solutions maintains a file for the manifest, One-Time Authorization and the shipment.
- Car/shipment is released for transportation.
If you have questions, please contact BNSF Waybill Solutions: David Rodriguez in Fort Worth at (888) 428-2673 [option 3, 2, 3] or Brock Lowman at (785) 435-2337 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your business is important to us. Thank you again for choosing BNSF Railway as your transportation provider.
 per 40 CFR part 262
 per 49 CFR §172.101(c) (9)