Service Update for Friday, March 28
This week, BNSF continued to make progress in our efforts to improve the fluidity of our network. We'd like to share with you some of the key indicators that demonstrate the improvements we are experiencing.
The number of trains holding on the BNSF system, which is a count of trains that are not running due to congestion or lack of a critical resource like power or crew, has declined 15 percent this week when compared to last week*, which indicates more fluidity is occurring within the network.
System maintenance and enhancement:
March maintenance and enhancement efforts have increased, with 59 crews collectively spending more than 10,000 man-hours each day maintaining and improving the network. Our maintenance crews' efforts help ensure that we can continue to aggressively pursue improving service across the system, while keeping safety a top concern.
- The velocity for the movement of coal has improved by seven percent from the prior week driven by an eight percent improvement in the Central Region. This improvement means that we are able to increase our loadings per day, which is helping us to continue stabilizing customer stockpiles.
Intermodal and Automotive performance:
- On-time performance has improved across our intermodal network, driven by a 49 percent reduction in the wait time for a train to be processed for unloading once it arrives at our terminal.
- Velocity continued to improve during the past week. Terminal dwell, which is the average time a rail car spends at our terminal, has decreased 14 percent compared to last week.
- For our agriculture customers, we are not yet achieving a reduction in the days past due for car orders. Clearly, we not satisfied with this status. We remain committed and focused on restoring service across the Ag network.
Your business is very important to BNSF and we want to ensure that we are doing all we can to continue to serve you now and in the future. If you have feedback for us or questions about efforts we are taking to improve service, we welcome your feedback.
Thank you for choosing BNSF as your transportation service provider.
* March 18, 2014 vs. March 25, 2014.