Service Update for Friday, April 25
This past week we continued to see positive trends in our efforts to improve service across the network. Below are some of the key indicators that show our progress:
- For the week ending April 22, overall on-time performance improved 16 percent when compared to the prior week* and 32 percent better than our baseline in early February. Good results in the North Region have helped drive the improvement.
- System velocity, which is defined as miles per day (MPD), increased five percent to 193 MPD, with agricultural products showing the highest weekly improvement, which came in 11 percent better than the prior week also driven by improvements in our North Region.
- For the week ending April 22, trains holding counts, which is the number of trains waiting due to congestion or a critical resource, decreased 12 percent when compared to the previous week and 47 percent since the week ending February 7.
- With the spring planting season about to begin, we are also making good progress in our delivery of fertilizer to those customers who are getting ready to plant this year’s crop. We shipped more than 2,500 cars or moved 22 trains carrying fertilizer this past week.
- Weekly coal loadings (7-day average) increased five percent to 51 loadings per day.
- Coal velocity increased eight percent when compared to the prior week.
- On-time performance improved 12 percent when compared to the prior week.
Intermodal and Automotive:
- On-time performance improved three percent when compared to the prior week and is 34 percent better since the week ending February 7.
As you can see, we are encouraged by some of the positive trends we are seeing across our network. We continue to be focused on consistently making improvements, adding capacity and making process and operational improvements that will generate better velocity for our network.
We welcome your feedback and questions regarding the efforts we are taking to improve service. Thank you for your business for choosing BNSF as your transportation service provider.