Service Update for Friday, April 4
We continue to make progress in our efforts to improve service levels and have seen consistent improvements compared to February, when we experienced our most challenging operational issues.
This week, however, significant winter weather along our Northern Corridor hampered some efforts to improve the fluidity of our network. While we will likely continue to experience weeks where overall progress is not as strong as the previous week, we expect to continue to make steady improvements throughout the year. The following key indicators demonstrate our current performance:
- Our snapshot of the number of trains holding on the BNSF system showed that we ended March holding 80 fewer trains than the beginning of the month. While we are disappointed at the number of trains that continue to be held short of their destination, we still recognize that the winter of 2013-2014 continues to create operational challenges impacting the Northern Plains and Upper Midwest. Our trains holding measurement is a count of trains not running due to a lack of a critical resource indicates more congestion is occurring on the network.
- The velocity for the movement of coal (miles per day) improved seven percentage points from last week*, driven by a six percent improvement in the Central Region. This improvement allows us to increase our loadings per day, helping to continue the stabilization of customer stockpiles.
Intermodal and Automotive performance:
- On-time performance improved nearly seven percentage points from last week, driven by improved car velocity and progress toward more typical network balance and traffic flows.
- Terminal dwell improved when compared to last week, with a 14 percent improvement in the time a railcar spends at the terminal. However, velocity declined four percent during the past week.
- Past dues improved eight percent when compared to last week. Velocity declined five percent during the same time frame.
All of our customers are very important to BNSF and we continue to do all we can to serve you now and in the future. We welcome your feedback or questions about the efforts we are taking to improve service.
Thank you for choosing BNSF as your transportation service provider.
* March 26, 2014 vs. April 2, 2014.