Back Customer Notifications Home

Customer Notifications inform BNSF customers of the latest news covering BNSF services, tools, prices and facilities.
To: BNSF Intermodal Customers

California Air Resources Board Drayage Truck Rule Compliance

The California Air Resources Board (CARB) requires all drayage tractors operating in the state of California to be registered in the CARB's Drayage Truck Registry. This requirement is known as the Drayage Truck Rule.

The Drayage Truck Rule also requires intermodal rail yards to provide data on tractors that come into intermodal rail facilities in California. Specifically, BNSF Railway is required to provide license plate information, registration state of issuance information and the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) for certain tractors in-gating at California intermodal rail yards.

In order to comply with the CARB regulation, BNSF is asking trucking companies that dispatch tractors to BNSF intermodal facilities to register their trucks in the Intermodal Association of North America (IANA) Intermodal Truck Registry (ITR) no later than January 15, 2015. Registration in the ITR is free of charge and provides an automated method to comply with CARB's Drayage Truck Rule.

Those motor carriers that have already registered their tractors in the ITR should make sure that the Vehicle Identification Number is included. Tractor Operators who do not register their tractors in the ITR or alternatively directly with CARB through its Drayage Truck Registry, by providing the license plate information, registration state of issuance information and their VIN by the date indicated above may be subject to enforcement measures by the California Air Resources Board.

To register tractors in the ITR, motor carriers can log into their Uniform Intermodal Interchange Agreement (UIIA) account where there is a link to the ITR registration. Instructions for registering tractors in IANA's ITR for BNSF can be found here.

For questions regarding registration in IANA's Intermodal Tractor Registry, contact the UIIA office at (877) 438-8442.

For questions regarding registration in CARB's Drayage Truck Registry, visit the CARB website or call 888-247-4821.

If you have any questions, please send an email to